Thursday 2 April 2009

Electrodes, eye balls and autism research

It is intriguing how researchers are so fascinated by the autistic personality. How our minds work, how retinas react to light, how daily ‘feelings’ differ, how we appreciate music. Brains have been fMRI[i] scanned, language studied, stress levels measured. The stuff of cold war sci-fi movies indeed. If you don’t understand it, take it apart and try to make sense of it.




There is sometimes no purpose to the research other than to prove a theory. It is not necessarily designed to help people on the autism spectrum, their friends or families. Nor is it with an aim to design better support or help the diagnostic progress. It seems that research is often done simply because the subject matter is so interesting. Sometimes, too, because the savant skills demonstrated in the minority of people on the autism spectrum are coveted and replication in the typically developed (TD) person is highly sought after. Science desires the production of its master race.


Welcome to the world of the lab rat.


I recently visited City University, London, to see ophthalmologist Dr Paul Constable. I had my retina measured while looking into rapidly flashing lights. Although the drops made my eyeball numb, the electrode on it still got a bit uncomfortable. Waiting in the dark for the drops to take effect gave us opportunity to discuss Paul’s research and the reason for it. Retinas in autistic people react differently to light from those of ‘normal’ people. He said, “Indeed some people with autism have different retinal responses, some are normal and others are low, but this only occurs in ~ 30% of people. I think this is because the same chemicals that work in the brain also work in the retina, and in autism these chemicals are in an imbalance, hence the different behaviour patterns.” It might explain why many people on the autism spectrum are sensitive to certain kinds of lighting.



Rory Allen, a PhD student at Goldsmith’s College in London is researching music and autism. As music has meant so much to me over my lifetime, I was very keen to take part. According to the information sheet:


Research suggests that people with an autism spectrum condition enjoy music in the same ways as people without the condition, but that they may describe their reactions to it differently. The purpose of this study is to check whether this assumption is true or not.


It seems that people with autism experience very strong emotions when listening to music.
Rory’s tests involved attaching electrodes the second and fourth finger of a subject and measuring responses to music played through headphones. The first test was a piece of music chosen by the subject. Subsequent tests involved listening to 30 second classical sound clips as stand alone pieces or whilst looking at happy and sad faces on the computer. Hit the space bar to continue to the next image.


Another part of the tests, minus electrodes was to have a sheet of paper upon which were boxes with ‘bundles’ of words on them. For instance, bundle five words were lively, dancing, energised, upbeat, adventurous, exuberant.


The aim was to listen to a sound clip and choose from one of the boxes which set was most accurate. When I did this, we got into quite a complicated debate over the word ‘emotion’. How could I explain that my response was unemotional? I picked the bundle that closely matched the words that the music evoked. A clip might sound happy, sad, lonely, bright or cheerful. The clips evoked words rather than an emotion for me. Hence my reply was, ‘This music sounds like box (n)’.
It did not mean I experienced that emotion. Perhaps he was overlooking my emotional attachment to music. With these clips, I had none. With my own choice, I had plenty.


I take part in these tests as a volunteer, receiving travel expenses and, occasionally payment. But that is not why I do it. Knowing I am helping students gain their doctorates, develop understanding and awareness while learning about myself and my own autism is very satisfying. Having grown up when little was known about autism and virtually nothing about Asperger’s syndrome, it is easy to appreciate the importance of earlier diagnosis and appropriate treatment. It challenges prejudices and misconceptions. Autism is not a mental illness but being misunderstood can, and does, lead to mental health problems such as depression and suicidal tendencies. Parents will continue to have their children labelled ‘naughty’ because Asperger’s syndrome has not been considered. If people like me don’t get out there and help researchers, they have nothing to work on but assumptions, which can be very wide of the mark and leave this beautiful race of people in an unnecessary cycle of hurt.


http://www.ich.ucl.ac.uk/gosh/clinicalservices/Ophthalmology/Custom%20Menu_01
http://www.city.ac.uk/optometry/about/staff/constable.html
http://psychology.uwo.ca/fmri4newbies
[i] Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging


see also:



This one is interesting, especially as this person uses the same blogger background as me:

No comments:

Post a Comment